The Ministry of Education has just released its 2020 Statistical Bulletin on Education Spending as follows:
I. Total national spending on education
In 2020, national spending on education totaled RMB 5.3014 trillion, marking an increase of 5.65% on the previous year, while funds channeled into education through national finance (including general public expenditure and government expenditure on education, allocations for education from state-owned and state-holding enterprises, and revenues from school-run businesses and social services) reached RMB 4.2891 trillion, a 7.10% increase on 2019.
II. Spending on education at different levels
The distribution of funding among different levels of education is as follows:
(1) Preschool: RMB 420.3 billion, up 2.39% over the previous year.
(2) Elementary and junior high school: RMB 2.4295 trillion, up 6.55% over the previous year.
(3) Senior high school: RMB 842.8 billion, up 9.14% over the previous year, including RMB 287.2 billion on secondary vocational school education, a year-on-year increase of 9.97%.
(4) Higher education: RMB 1.3999 trillion, up 3.99% over the previous year, including RMB 275.8 billion on tertiary vocational school, a year-on-year increase of 14.73%.
(5) Spending on other education came up to RMB 209 billion, a year-on-year increase of 0.09%.
III. Spending per student at different levels of education
Public funding per student at different levels of education is as follows:
(1) Preschool: RMB 12,954, a year-on-year increase of 9.14%.
(2) Elementary school: RMB 14,103, up 4.43%.
(3) Junior high school: RMB 20,342, up 3.94%.
(4) Senior high school: RMB 23,489, up 6.10%.
(5) Secondary vocational school: RMB 22,568, up 6.51%.
(6) Higher education institution: RMB 37,241, a year-on-year decrease of 3.78%.